Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Cape, King For a Day, Igby and so on...

Now I will be the first to admit, I've been talking about making a cape for MANY months. And I believe there are several people that wish I'd just shut up about it. Well I finally made one. Hoorah, you say! The cape I constructed was navy blue with a strawberry print lining. Very warm, with hood, perfect for committing petty crimes.

Backwoods Gallery - King For A Day


Last Friday I was invited to the exhibition opening for 'King for a Day' by Meggs. I read the little blurb for the exhibition and it all seemed quite interesting. Basically about the cult of celebrity and how anyone can be famous with the help of facebook and twitter. I found it was a little similar to what Banksy was trying to say with 'Exit Through the Giftshop'. The night had been promoted with the allure of FREE ALCOHOL. I was unaware as to what this would mean but soon found out. When an exhibition provides free alcohol, the people it attracts may not necessarily be there for the art... The entire art space was full of people with their backs to the artwork, just drinking and checking each other out. Not being able to find my friends, I decided I'd had enough and left. On my return home I visited the gallery website to view the art at my leisure, perhaps not the same but much more comfortable.

Igby Goes Down - Possibly one of my favourite films.

I'm a big fan of films that have multiple quirky, messed up characters. Igby Goes Down and The Royal Tenenbaums both fit into this classification. I could describe why I like this film, but perhaps it would be best expressed with some of my favourite quotes:

- 'It's just you and me old man.'

- 'Igby is not my fault.'

- 'I believe certain people are meant to fall by the wayside. To serve as warnings to the rest of us, sign posts along the way.' 'To where?' 'Success!'

- 'Really? You sound older than eleven. Probably all the cigarettes.'

- 'Families should be run like companies.'

- 'Why do you think I'm dressed like a figure skater?'

- ' Embrace your moral hypocrisy DH. Go for it!'

- 'Your joints are like salad joints.'

- 'Instead of saying something or someone is funny, wy don't you just laugh?'

- 'Guess you have to pay rent this month.'

- 'She's a dancer who doesn't dance and her friend is a painter who doesn't paint.'

- 'I feel this great, great pressure coming down on me. It's just constantly coming down on me, crushing me.'

Work in progress = perfume bottles. Here is my first one with the aim to create some sort of collage of various perfume bottles and silhouettes.

Crystal Castles Cousin - Oh my, last weekend my friend and I were lucky enough to run into somewhat of a celebrity. Yes, that's right, girl from Crystal Castles cousin! aaarrrhh! OMG! No not really, the cousin was a bit annoying, but apparently girl from Crystal Castles is really shy and down to earth, but aren't we all!

Empathy by Crystal Castles = love!


No comments:

Post a Comment