Saturday, August 28, 2010

Fashion Illustration, Election Day, Nicholas Building & Fixies

Three weeks into my Fashion Illustration course and I'm really enjoying it. I'm becoming reacquainted with the old pencil, rather than the click click. Erasing by hand, rather than clicking 'undo'. Despite all of this old fashioned skills revision, I've been working on applying the use of water colour and ink to figures in Illustrator and I think it's a nice halfway point.
I'm also adding some texture to clothing which is fun.


Election Day
in Australia, no biggie. Had to vote which was considerably painless, not particularly time consuming which was great. I'm not that into politics and last time I tried to vote in this country (2007) they acted like I didn't even exist, no longer on their lists after being out of the country for 2 years. Whatever. So this time I played my part in the great election game, the result - A Hung Parliment. So the saga continues. My main focus was on Prime Minister Julia Guillard's hair. In the run up to the election her hair always seemed to be a different tone of red. So I've made a little visual to mark the occassion with an Andy Warhol inspired dedication to our lady PM.
.. for now anyway. It's so very Australian, moving forward and all that.


Nicholas Building - Open Studio Night. What a fun little evening. I had never even noticed the Nicholas Building until I heard about it on the radio one morning, so I googled it. After googling it, I clicked on some links and ended up on their blog, then I signed up for the their mailing list, easy. The next day there's an invitation to their open night in my inbox, cool, thanks internet. So we went and were very inspired by all the art that was going on up in the skies of Melbourne. I must admit, the main highlight for me was the view from the 9th floor, amazing! I spent a little too much time gazing out the window, should have been looking at the paintings, which were ok. I think the guy with the awesome view was a little too distracted which was much to the detriment of his art. There was wine, cheese, crackers and cool music. See you next year!

Fixies - a bicycle that has a constant fixed gear. I've been interested in this hipster phenomenon for quite some time. On fashion blogs they are constantly featured in photos with cool kids, almost like a handbag or pair of sunglasses. I'm not taking the piss, I honestly like the visual, so much so that I made some fixie art. I might even get a bike one day! I'll just add it to the list....

No comments:

Post a Comment