Thursday, August 5, 2010

Paper Heart, Master Chef & Gemma Correll

Paper Heart: Sometimes, when you least expect it, you find yourself watching a film that's actually quite good. This happened to me last night with Paper Heart.

The film is mockumentary about Charlene Li who claims she has never been in love and worries that she never will be in love, ever. It starts with Charlene interviewing random people and experts on love. A little dry to begin with, if not for the awesome little handmade animations which illustrate the love stories of the randoms she interviews. Charlene then goes to a party and meets Michael Cera! That's when the story takes on an ultimate cuteness. At first Charlene is not interested in Michael (Mike) at all, walks away while he's talking to her, ha! Then they start instant messaging, love is on it's way. Imagine the sweetest and most awkward couple and that is them. I won't tell you what happens in hopes that maybe you might watch it. Totally lovely.


Master Chef: So along with 2 million other Australians, I watched Master Chef. It was somewhat of a social addiction. You see someone out and about, conversation normally leads to, 'sooo, you been watching Master Chef?'. The answer is most likely 'yes!'. Insert jargon of 'pressure tests', 'what I love about this dish', 'in this competition', 'fresh produce', 'keep it simple' etc. What I learnt from this program was if you want to make a 'dish' taste good add lots of - oil, butter and sugar. This is hardly what we should be promoting to a country which is suffering from all sorts of obesity related illnesses. WTF?

This inspired me to illustrate the point.



Gemma Correll: While dancing around in the web I stumbled across some illustrations from Gemma Correll. I highly recommend you check out her site - www.gemmacorrell.com. This one made me laugh a little this morning.

2 comments:

  1. Masterchef illustrations : hilarious. This is so true yet I hadn't actually thought of it myself. Shayne used to have a cooking motto. "FAT IS FLAVOUR"

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha, you made a comment! nice!
    fat is flavour, but sometimes flavour can come from things other than fat.

    ReplyDelete