Monday, June 14, 2010

Tea and a bit of illustration

I was out in the general Melbourne city area and desperately needed a cup of tea. The suggestion of honey was made by a very friendly and knowledgeable coffee maker to which I accepted and wow o wow, was it good. On a cold day walking around on the cold streets, a cup of tea with honey is amazingly, well amazing!

A few weeks ago, I was lucky enough to join my friend for afternoon tea at The Hopetoun Tearooms, just off Collins St in the Block Arcade. Just look at all those little scones ready to become Devonshire Teas. Too many levels of good in one window.

Following a similar theme, I was also struck by this chocolate display and eventually got a clear shot when the group of little old ladies were tempted away with a free sample. Haigh's is also in the Block Arcade, the place was practically heaving around Easter. But chocolate is like gold in there, well pretty much the same price. I know, I know, you get what you paid for and all that but Aldi dark chocolate is a quiet acheiver, in my mind anyway.

Dappled Cities - I have been waiting to see Dappled Cities for almost a lifetime. Well since January when I was introduced to them at St Jerome's Laneway Festival, which seems like a very long time ago. Anyway, there were a few support bands and the first I have literally spent 10 minutes looking for their name on the interweb. So here it is Otouto, a couple of girls and a guy from Melbourne. Pretty cool, cute, different and a nice surprise. Next was John Steel Singers who I'd heard of, they had a massive hit with Masochist which was one of my favourite aus songs in Nov/Dec. They played well with loads of energy. So yeah, Dappled Cities, lasers galore, smoke machines and everything, combined with some very energetic dancing by Tim Derricourt, he's like an energiser bunny! 'Wooden Ships' was possibly my favourite although they sung a little lower than they do on the recorded version, a little disappointed about, but not much! Oh and one small, irrelevant piece of information that brought a smile to my face, before the bands came on, they played the entire Crowded House Best Of album. Whose ever idea that was, I believe they are my hero!

I've always been meaning to do some graphic illustrations of digital watches so here's my first one. Based on a G-Shock digital watch.

Inspired by these girls in blazers (Neet Magazine), I blazed up for my family lunch this Sunday.

I've always loved Andy Warhol and as Bob Dylan and Andy cross paths a few times I became a little caught up in Bob. That's sort of a lie, who could not know about Bob Dylan? Nobody!

So I was watching 'No Direction Home' and was very impressed with Bob's hair when he let it get so long his face was surrounded with messy curls. Thinking of this I did a quick illustration, paying particular attention to the hair.
Don't Think Twice, It's Alright...

No comments:

Post a Comment