Friday, June 4, 2010

Check Your Checks At the Door
Last night it was off to the Workers Club. A nice little place for gigs, parties, food and chats with friends, they also have exhibition space which I forgot to check out... next time. We were there to see a few bands for the Familia Moja Fundaraiser, it's a nice feeling when you can see bands and know that you're also supporting charity, there should be more of this.

However, upon entry it became abrasively apparent that checked shirts are like the Workers Club uniform. It doesn't matter if you're working behind the bar or there for a drink, checks are in abundance. I rarely ever wear checks but just happened to put my favourite checked shirt on cause it's comfy and warm. I really like the whole idea of checks and it's a good example of casual chic. The key is to make it look as if you don't care, when in fact... you sort of do. I don't think I'll be wearing checks to the Workers Club anytime soon, but I will go back.

1. Vice Magazine (Aus), 2. Vice Magazine (Aus), 3. Facehunter


The first artist on stage... well we missed the first, so the first we saw was Owl and Moth which is basically Oliver Hunter, a very curious young gentleman indeed. To create his unique sound, Oliver incorporates his own vocals, baritone ukulele and other percussive and environmental sound sources to produce electric folk. As well as being extremely talented musically, Oliver is a snappy dresser. I loved his trousers and could not help dreaming of owning such a pair myself. They were black, high-waisted and tapered at the ankles. He was wearing braces with them which just makes me admire him more. Oliver really is in his own little world which is a good place to be.

The other bands were alright, but at some point I had a craving for mint chocolate. So we were off in search of some sort of store to purchase chocolate. We were thinking the almighty 7-eleven but stumbled across an independent 'milkbar'. After making our selections and checking the expiry dates (you never can be too careful), we paid and left. On our return to the venue we were harassed by a homeless person who suggested we were living a spectacular life while he was suffering. He them became a bit aggressive and followed us for quite some time. When we were safely back in the warm I opened my chocolate bar only to realise I had selected Cadbury's mint Bubbly! This is a poor substitute for Aero and really should never have been introduced to the market. I ate it anyway... but I felt like I had betrayed the Aero.

No comments:

Post a Comment